Monday, October 18, 2010

Robert Walton and his Introduction

   Until today, when as a class we learned about Frankenstein and the history behind it, I was ignorant of the story and what it has to offer. I thought that Frankenstein was the name given to the monster, not its creator. I never held any interest in reading the novel or watching the film and always deemed it childish and not my cup of tea. After today's discussion the novel strongly appeals to me and I am eager to read it. The letters written by the explorer Robert Walton addressed to his beloved sister were wonderfully written and filled with vivid details. Before I read them, I was confused why these seemingly unrelated letters were used as the introduction to this book but now my confusion has vanished and I think they are a perfect way for the reader to prepare for what will come along within Frankenstein. 
  It was also discussed in class how the idea that along with creation comes death and the fears one possesses in relation to intellectual ability. Walton is captivated by his explorations and writes of his eagerness to learn the secrets of the Earth and to be knowledgeable in areas foreign to the rest of civilization. He meets an emaciated stranger stuck on an ice sledge and later befriends him. In letter four, Walton includes a statement that the stranger had spoken to him “You seek for knowledge and wisdom, as I once did; and I ardently hope that the gratification of your wishes may not be a serpent to sting you, as mine has been.”. This quote intelligently states the theme of the danger of knowledge, which evidently applies not only to Walton but to Frankenstein and his monster as well. 
  The letters introduce a number of themes that I expect to appear throughout the text of Frankenstein. The ambitions and character of Walton are most likely a strong parallel to those of Frankenstein as he struggles with loneliness and has a passion for intellectual advancement. His letters provide the reader with a frame narrative for what is to come in the novel, and acts as a constant reminder to the reader the presence of other authors and audiences such as Walton, his sister, and Victor. 


Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment