Monday, February 28, 2011
Invisible Man--by Melissa Mejico
Within a matter of minutes one can size up another person simply by observing their appearance. Society has many different views of different people according to their race, ethnicity, religion, and culture. In the novel Invisible Man, the narrator considers himself to be invisible as he comes to realize that his true identity is in fact invisible to those around him. His identity is potrayed through his race as a black man living in white America. "Keep America Pure with Liberty Paints" was the logo painted on the sign at Liberty Paints where the narrator worked. In a way I believe Ellison was saying that the white men were trying to keep America PURE and the African Americans were simply the impurity. "Our white is so white you can paint a chunka coal and you'd have to crack it open with a sledge hammer to prove it wasn't white clear through." In this quote, the white proved how powerful it was, the chunka coal were the blacks or in this case the narrator, and by painting the coal only covered up who he truly was, making his identity invisible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This writing shows how whites would be nothing without blacks and vice versa. The last statement in this is very powerful, and I have to say that I agree whole-heartedly. I wouldn't have stated anything any other way Melissa.
ReplyDeleteShanyce R.
This is an interesting analysis. I read Native Son, which is made up of dialogue and a narrator, so I only really know what Bigger thinking by how much he said to other characters. It would have been intriguing to read a book that was from a single man's perspective.
ReplyDelete-Kaylynn
That's a very good connection that you got there. Though, remember coal can be burned for heating purposes. So I wonder if the white burns with the black coal to create fire, something that is used to warm and nourish life, what would that mean?
ReplyDeleteVery true. It seems as though people consider themselves as invisible because they may feel inferior to some people around them. Unfortunately discrimination still exists at times and it is an easy way to portray to other humans that they are lesser and "invisible".
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Melissas said. I think people tend to avoid reality when it is not in their favor. Great post love the analysis.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that one is sized up simply by appearance. This, however, is not a fair process, and it has gotten better over time. In the novel, Invisible Man, it was unfairly demonstrated countless times.
ReplyDelete