Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Human or Not

I believe that one of the rights humans have from the moment they are born is that they should be allowed to interact with other people. But in the novel "Frankenstein" the creature is not human, so should he also be given this priviledge? Is it now Victor's responsibility to provide him with a companion? In the monster's narrative the reader finds out that the creature has real human-like charecteristics. He is intalligent, he feels love and care. He feels alone. I definetly feel pity for him, although I understand the reason why Victor denys the creature a companion of his likeness ,because of the conflicts that have caused an uproar in society by the creation of a nonhuman already. I feel sad because as the reader I understand that what is occuring is not the creature's fault, although the creature is suffering from confusion, he still feels emotions of love, he has the desire to learn. By comparing my thoughts about both Victor and the creature I notice that I am more sensible towards the creature, he does not know any better than what he does, he wishes to fill the emptyness inside of him. As a human it is easy to connect to this situation because we often find our selves lost, aching to find our true identities, and for this I comprehend the creature's suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment