Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Words- Dorothy Z.

It's the most stressful time of senior year- college application time! Many of our most important words at the moment might include: stress, applications, scholarships, private, public, fees, sleep. The words most important to us change like seasons; it all depends on the time of year and our mood. We use words to communicate to one another whether by phone, through Facebook, or by advertising on TV. As humans, we can use words to uplift or degrade others, to persuade or analyze. Although our words constantly change, I think there are a few essential words people actually keep the same because they describe their values and goals in life. Mine are: attitude, freedom, beautiful, and refreshing. I believe attitude is everything- it can completely change your outlook on any situation. Freedom is so important to human nature because we have that desire to be our own people and not to be oppressed by any person or institution. Have you ever heard the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?" I believe it is incredibly true. We all see beauty in a different way and it is so important to remember that there are still beautiful things in the corrupt world we live in. Finally, refreshing: since we are all human, we get tired and beaten down in life sometimes. People need that occasional vacation or cool glass of lemonade to refresh themselves.

8 comments:

  1. I really liked how you connected each word to not only what others think, bit what you think too. The tie in with your college app stress and your words was also nicely done. A very refreshing post!
    Emily S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! During college application attitude and refreshing are especially useful words! I actually picked freedom as one of my most important words too.
    -Erica W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I was really hoping us seniors could all relate to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really agreed with what you said about how words have the power to both uplift and degrade people. Sometimes we don't realize what effect our words have on others until after we've said them. Words are really more powerful than we give them credit for. Great topic for blog post!
    -Sapir L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan Collins
    I wish I could feel your pain, hahaha not really! I credit that all to sports. Ive always had the dream of get scholarship for football, and while for sometime all I had were phone calls I knew at some point those calls would give me exactly what I wanted. But sleep,I'll take that as my most influential word :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh I like all your words and how you related them to each other. Those are some good goals for senior year when times can be stressful. (:
    -Stephanie K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the football scholarships Jonathan! And yes Stephanie I'm glad you can relate. As seniors, I know we have all had at least 1 stressful moment this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like how your writing goes with your choice of words. it is very interesting. also, your introduction of college could capture me at once because i am worried about college too as one of the seniors. by the time now, we all got our college accpetance letters. i hope you got into wherever you want to go !

    ReplyDelete